May 14, 2020 update
• EU support in Horn of Africa region – The EU is providing an additional €105.5 million to countries in the Horn of Africa as the coronavirus pandemic risks worsening the humanitarian situation across the region where many continue to suffer from armed conflict, displacement, and recurrent droughts and floods.
• State aid to Croatia, Latvia, Bulgaria – The European Commission approved, €322 million Croatian loan guarantees and subsidised loans scheme for micro, small and medium-sized companies affected by coronavirus outbreak, €1.5 million Latvian scheme to support companies active in the agricultural sector affected by coronavirus outbreak, €11.5 million Maltese scheme to support investments in the production of coronavirus-relevant products, €88 million Bulgarian scheme to support micro and small companies affected by coronavirus outbreak
• EUvsDisinfo: Capitalising on the Coronavirus Conspiracist Frenzy – As the COVID-19 crisis continues to monopolise public life around the world, conspiracy theories about the virus continue to gather steam – and pro-Kremlin media are eager to jump on the bandwagon.
May 13, 2020 update
• Speech by EC President von der Leyen at the EP Plenary – President von der Leyen sets out the main features of the Recovery Plan for Europe.
• European Commission: Guidance on how to safely resume travel and reboot Europe’s tourism in 2020 and beyond – Guidelines help Member States gradually lift travel restrictions and allow tourism businesses to reopen, after months of lockdown, while respecting necessary health precautions.
• European Commission: A common approach for safe and efficient mobile tracing apps across the EU – Interoperability guidelines for approved contact tracing mobile applications in the EU.
• ECDC Information – On COVID-19 for specific groups: patients with chronic diseases, people with immunocompromising condition and pregnant women.
May 12, 2020 update
• NATO: Secretary General discusses pandemic with EU defence ministers – Security challenges have not diminished because of COVID-19 and potential adversaries will look to test NATO’s resolve.
• EASA Information – List of airports located in affected areas with high risk of transmission of the CoViD-19 infection.
• European Commission: Guidance on coronavirus-related humanitarian aid to Syria – A detailed guidance on how coronavirus-related humanitarian aid can be sent to countries and areas around the world that are subject to EU sanctions.
• Innovative Medicines Initiative: €117 million granted for treatments and diagnostics – 8 large-scale research projects, aimed at developing treatments and diagnostics for the coronavirus,were selected in a fast-track call for proposals.
• EPRS Briefing – World Health Organization: Is it fit for purpose?
May 11, 2020 update
• EMA recommendation – EMA recommends expanding remdesivir compassionate use to patients not on mechanical ventilation.
• ENISA release – Cybersecurity in the healthcare sector during COVID-19 pandemic
• UNWTO: World Tourism Remains At a Standstill – New research from the World Tourism Organization showing that 100% of global destinations continue to have restrictions on travel in place, and 72% have completely closed their borders to international tourism.
• FAO statement – Access to food for all and greater agricultural innovation are key as countries respond to COVID-19 pandemic and plan to rebuild.
• State aid to the Netherlands, France, UK, Poland, Greece – The European Commission approves, €650 million Dutch scheme to compensate companies in the floriculture, specialty horticulture and potato sectors for damage caused by coronavirus outbreak, French guarantee scheme for exporting small and midsize companies affected by coronavirus outbreak, € 10.3 billion UK scheme to support self-employed individuals and members of partnerships during the coronavirus outbreak, €450 million Polish scheme to support companies affected by coronavirus outbreak, €500 million Greek scheme to support the self-employed affected by coronavirus outbreak
May 9, 2020 update
• Joint op-ed by EP President Sassoli, Council President Michel and EC President von der Leyen – Europe must emerge stronger from this crisis.